We are constantly looking for ways to make the average man realize that looking stylish doesn’t have to be that expensive a little pairing up here and there could do wonders to your look. One of such style accessory is the famous scarf which have been around for years. The modern scarf has its origins all the way in Ancient Egypt, where the first recorded scarf was used by Queen Nefertiti who was said to have worn a “tightly woven scarf topped with a conical headdress” in 1350 BC. Under the Chinese Emperor Cheng, scarves made of cloth were used to mark military rank. A scarf, is a piece of fabric worn around the neck or head for warmth, sun protection, cleanliness, fashion, or religious reasons or used to show the support for a sports club or team. They can be made in a variety of different materials such as wool, linen, silk or cotton. People actually get it wrong when they categorize both scarf and a muffler as the same thing, well no they are two complete different things. A scarf and a muffler are two different things. People wear mufflers only when the weather is (very) cold, and scarfs are too thin to keep your neck warm in winter.
But looking at our temperature from this side of the world then you would agree with me that scarfs would be a perfect use to create a certain style which in turn keeps us warm. Now we need to indicate that some men don’t know how to wear a scarf because, quite frankly, they hesitate because they feel its not something masculine. Let us convince you to give it a shot. The scarf is your winter best-friend which would help keep you warm for those of us on this side scarfs would automatically serve as a fashion piece which is what we want to achieve. We would like to show you four different ways to wear a scarf with step-by-step instructions so your neck can stay warm and stylish all year long. Hold up. To ensure that you’ll be able to properly wear a scarf with a suit, make sure the scarf you choose is 60 to 75 inches long and is open-ended (not like some infinity scarves that has no ‘end’ point”. Also, keep in mind that some of the scarf knots below will be tougher with thicker and coarser wool scarves.
1. The Slip Knot
This scarf knot has some major cold-stopping power. It’s also easy to put on and take off, so your co-workers won’t think you’re trying to strangle yourself as you head out of the office in your suit and scarf.
- Step 1: Fold the scarf in half lengthwise and then fold it again to form a sort of hoop.
- Step 2: Let the scarf dangle around your neck with the hoop on one side of the shoulder.
- Step 3: Take the other end (A) and bring it towards the hoop.
- Step 4: Let A pass through the loop.
- Step 5: Tighten the loop to get the complete effect.
2. The Wrap-Around
The wrap-around scarf style is easy to accomplish as you’re rushing around the city, constantly going indoors and out. Tuck the ends of your scarf into your suit jacket or topcoat to keep out any cold drifts.
- Step 1: Drape the scarf around your shoulders and let it hang around your neck equally on each side.
- Step 2: Bring one side (B) towards the other side (A).
- Step 3: Let B pass over A and wrap B around the back of your neck to the other side.
- Step 4: Adjust both ends to the desired length.
3. The Shoulder Toss
This OG “knot” is a classic way to wear a scarf for men, but it doesn’t do too well in windy conditions (unless you enjoy constantly readjusting).
- Step 1: Drape the scarf over your shoulders and let it hang around your neck equally on each side.
- Step 2: Take either side (in this case, A), and toss it over your opposing shoulder. Adjust to desired length.
- Step 2a: [optional] Brush your shoulders off mid-toss.
4. The Classic Drape
For the man who prefers a simple look, can’t be bothered to tie or untie knots and probably wears loafers year-round. This suit and scarf combination doesn’t offer much cold protection and really only looks good with your jacket open. But hey, it’s simple and some guys like simple. This is a simple step which would entail you to Fold the scarf in half lengthwise and let it hang around your neck equally on each side